HOW MUCH DOES A HOT TUB COST IN 2017?
20 MUST-READ HOT TUB CLEANING TIPS
Cleaning Your Spa
Soak in your spa’s sparkling clean water by following these simple cleaning tips.
1. For the whole spa: Use a mild non-abrasive, non-sudsing cleaner and a soft rag or nylon scrubber to remove dirt build-up
2. For minor surface cleaning:Use common baking soda to clean small surface areas
3. For a shiny look: Apply FreshWater Spa Shine to your clean and dry spa shell
4. For spa pillows: Follow the instructions in your Owner’s Manual to remove and clean your spa pillows
5. For vinyl cover: First remove the cover and spray it lightly with a garden hose to loosen any dirt or debris that might have built up. Then, using a mild soap solution (1 teaspoon dishwashing liquid with 8 litres water) or baking soda, scrub the vinyl in a circular motion with a large sponge and rinse with a garden hose. Rinse the bottom of the cover without using soap, and wipe it clean with a dry rag. To condition the cover after cleaning, apply a thin film of HotSpring™ Cover Shield™ product.
Helpful Hint: To keep detergent and soap residue out of your spa water, shower without soap before soaking in your spa, and instead of washing your bathing suit use the rinse cycle.
Clean Your Spa Filter Cartridges: Spray each cartridge with a garden hose, rotating while spraying to thoroughly remove any debris between filter pleats
6. Spray cartridges: Spray each cartridge with a garden hose, rotating while spraying to thoroughly remove any debris between filter pleats
8. Replace filters:While cleaning your filters will help keep water running smoothly, you should replace your filters every three years with genuine Watkins replacement filters
Replacing Your Spa Water
While following spa water cleaning tips will keep your water fresh longer, soaps and detergents can build over time in your spa to cause residue. Know how to replace your water with these steps:
9. Drain and refill tub: Following the instructions in your Owner’s Manual, drain and refill the water in your spa to clear detergent and soap residue that may have accumulated over time
10. Get pre-filter: For sparkling clean water right from the start, use the CleanScreen™ Pre-Filter when filling your spa
11. Attach pre-filter: When using the CleanScreen Pre-Filter, attach it to an ordinary garden hose to remove organic contaminants, metals like copper and iron, and tannins from your new water.
How To Winterise Your Spa
Your HotSpring spa is designed for year-round use in all climates. Ensure maximum energy efficiency in your spa any time of the year with these steps.
12. Buy a Winter Blanket: Keep your spa hot year-round, even in areas with freezing temperatures, by purchasing a Winter Blanket from your local HotSpring spa dealer.
13. Install the Winter Blanket: Install the vinyl-covered, fiberglass insulated Winter Blanket inside of the equipment compartment door, adding additional precaution against partial freezing to some of your spa’s components while maximising energy efficiency.
14. Look for wear and tear: Check that your cover is at peak performance level by looking for signs of wear and tear.
15. Check the seal: Make sure the seal is still tight and intact so heat doesn't escape.
16. See if you need a replacement: If you see signs of sagging, fading or cracking, get a replacement cover for your spa.
17. Remove snow and ice: Regularly brush snow off of your spa cover and splash warm water on ice rather than prying it off.
18. Stay maintained for vacation: If you plan to leave for few days during the winter months, keep your spa maintained with these tips:
- Adjust pH: Before you go, adjust the pH according to the Owner's Manual.
- Sanitise: Sanitise the water with super chlorination or the new HotSpring MPS Chlorine-Free Oxidiser according to instructions.
- Lock cover: Lock down the cover to prevent access.
- Lock light and jets: Lock the light and jets feature on the control panel (on 1998 models).
19. When you return: Upon your return, balance the pH and sanitise the water prior to using.
Keep your spa water clean from algae, bacteria and other unwanted impurities by maintaining a safe amount of sanitiser. With too much sanitiser in your spa water, your lungs, skin and eyes may become irritated.
HotSpring recommends only the following sanitisers:
- EverFresh™ Water Care System with HotSpring MPS Chlorine-Free Oxidiser
- Sodium Dichlor (chlorine)
- Granular bromine
- FreshWater® Biguanide Water Care or Baqua Spa® For 1998 to current spa models only
DO NOT use tri-chlor chlorine, any type of compressed bromine or chlorine, acid or any type of sanitiser which is not recommended above. If in doubt, please contact our Customer Service Department or your local HotSpring spa dealer.
Spa Water Products
Water is the essence of your spa, so it should be fresh, clean and ready to enjoy. HotSpring offers two accessories to keep your water clean and your care routine easy.
HotSpring MPS Chlorine-Free Oxidiser
To eliminating unwanted impurities accumulated in you spa water, this chlorine-free oxidiser increases sanitiser efficiency and enhances water clarity. The HotSpring MPS Chlorine-Free Oxidiser is compatible with bromine, chlorine and most alternative sanitisers. It is also recommended for use with the EverFresh water care system for the best quality water possible... Fresh, safe, and free of odors and irritation.
HotSpring Spa Vac
The HotSpring Spa Vac cleans dirt, gravel, leaves and other debris without draining your spa. This self-contained, simple-to-use water vacuum requires no pumping, batteries or water hook-ups, while the telescopic aluminum pole makes it easy to remove debris from hard-to-reach areas. You can also it on your swimming pool steps and in fountains.
For any special questions, or any technical or customer service questions, please contact our Customer Service Department or call +1 (800) 999-4688.