WATKINS MANUFACTURING HONORED WITH CALIFORNIA'S PRESTIGIOUS FLEX YOUR POWER AWARD
December 22, 2008—Watkins Manufacturing, makers of HotSpring® Spas, the world’s number one selling brand of portable spas, has been recognized by Flex Your Power, California’s statewide energy efficiency campaign, as a leader in energy efficiency with a Flex Your Power Award. This year’s award winners collectively saved 1.5 billion kilowatt hours, 122 billion gallons of water and reduced greenhouse gas emissions by 1.3 billion pounds.
Below are some of the activities for which Watkins Manufacturing was recognized:
- The company produces its own power, 24 hours/7days a week since it installed two Waukesha natural gas fired generators in 2001, producing 2.1 megawatts of power. They have achieved an overall reduction of 5.3 million kWh since installation.
- The old roofing was replaced with high-reflection roofing that is Energy Star Rated. An upgrade of the company’s I.T. Data Center and new HVAC system, including installation of “virtual servers”, bring an anticipated annual savings of 198,570 kWh and a CO2 emission reduction of 147 metric tons.
- An efficiency audit was performed on all A/C units, saving an estimated 197,742 kWh per year.
- The water system level controls were adjusted and upgraded, resulting in an estimated savings of 1,244,000 gallons per year, and over 15,000 kWh.
- Company recycling activities for 2008 resulted in the recycling of 4.2 million pounds of materials.
- The company has dedicated “Green” and “Energy Efficiency” teams committed to continuing education, and implementing energy efficiency and green practices. The energy team has participated in several local utilities CPP workshops, the FAR-OFF workshop, the AB32 California greenhouse gas legislation workshop, the 2008 Energy Showcase, and the Constellation energy webcast “6 step strategy to reduce energy consumption”.
- The company’s commitment to energy efficiency goes even further with product innovation. In 2008 they received an ENVY award for outstanding efforts in environmentally-friendly hot tub design. And they were among the first hot tub manufacturers to meet the current stringent Title 20 energy standards established by the California Energy Commission (CEC) on all hot tub models.
- In 2008, the company obtained U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC) membership.
- Lighting was upgraded in 2006 and 2007 from T5 to T8 bulbs.
- Since 2001, the company has participated in several demand response programs through San Diego Gas and Electric, the local utility company.
Flex Your Power Award winners were selected by the California Energy Commission, senior representatives from the California Independent System Operator, League of California Cities, Building Owners and Managers Association, Silicon Valley Leadership Group, Sacramento Municipal Utility District, California Council for Environmental and Economic Balance, California Sustainable Winegrowing Alliance, Association of California Water Agencies and Southern California Edison.